Sunday, August 30, 2009

number six


6. Nirvana, Nevermind. So I was checking out that other dude's blog a little while ago, and suddenly realized that there is going to be a lot of potential for overlap as we both "plunge" into the Top 10 here, no pun intended. (see the photo at left) So let me just say, first of all, that I had Nirvana penciled in here months ago, back when I started this crazy venture. (Or was that years ago?) And second of all, why do people be hatin' so much now? Can't I do a simple Top 50 albums, without being accused of plagiarism?

But I digress. Nevermind. Ah yes, Nevermind. Where would rock 'n' roll be without you, Nevermind? It's a little scary to even think about that. Definitely, it would be a different place, a worse place. Although it's not like a band hadn't come along before and explicitly said, "We don't give a [f-bomb] about what people think of us! We're gonna play loud, we're gonna play mean, and we just don't care. And also, we're putting a picture of a baby swimming after a dollar bill on the cover." When I say that, I think of the Sex Pistols most of all. But really, there have been plenty of bands that have come along with that kind of attitude. In fact, just about every punk band out there, right? But very, very few of those bands have had the talent to make many people notice what they're doing, and to pause, and to ultimately foster a sea change in rock music. (again, no pun intended)

I think I remember where I was when I first heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (driving near Albany, NY). And I definitely remember where I was when I first heard about Kurt Cobain's death (heading for my temp job at Harborview). I wouldn't say I necessarily turned into a huge Nirvana fan after the former, though "Teen Spirit" itself rocked my world. But by the time Kurt Cobain died, I had really developed an appreciation for a lot more of Nirvana's music, and had seen the influence that Nirvana had had on modern rock. A good influence, a huge influence.

RIP, Kurt. Hard to believe it's been over 15 years now.

P.S. My Top 5 Nirvana songs, off the top of my head: Pennyroyal Tea, School, Dive, Verse Chorus Verse, Dimension 7. Oh, and can't forget Smells Like Teen Spirit. Make that my Top 6.

No comments: