Sunday, October 5, 2008

que cera, cera

So I went to see Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist tonight, mainly because I haven't been to the movies in a while and just felt like going. Unfortunately, there's not much good out right now. We're in the doldrums. I did want to see Pineapple Express, which is a pre-doldrums movie I haven't seen yet and which is still playing at the Orpheum here in the MJC. But the showtime was too early.

As for Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist ... sadly, I cannot recommend this movie. It was just too full of improbable situations and stultifying characters. It really wanted to be one of those "look at all this wild stuff that happens in one night!" kind of movies, but it was no Superbad or Sixteen Candles. But, it did have Michael Cera, which is what finally led me to see Nick and Norah over Beverly Hills Chihuahua. I like Michael Cera; the kid's got chops. But then, I knew that way back when he was playing George-Michael Bluth on "Arrested Development." And he was great in Superbad and Juno. He actually reminds me of a young me, kind of like George Clooney reminds me of the current me. I guess it's the combination of naivete and scrawniness. If you could see my high school yearbook, you would understand ...

You go, Michael Cera! Keep on making movies! I will continue to see them. But if they try to get you to do a Nick and Norah sequel, just walk away. Walk. Slowly. Away.

No comments: