Saturday, December 27, 2008

don't let the right one out

Has anyone out there seen "Let the Right One In?" You know, the Swedish film about young vampire love and angst? No, not "Twilight." This one is called "Let the Right One In," and it takes place in Sweden. Came out recently. Got some good reviews. Didn't have any scenes with vampires playing baseball, I believe.

I was looking forward to seeing it because we're in the winter doldrums right now, stuck with cheesy holiday movies and not much else. Plus, I spent a semester in Sweden in college, and Swedish cinema has been near and dear to me since then. One of the best memories of my time there was watching "The Seventh Seal" on TV with some Swedes from my dorm. (If you haven't seen "The Seventh Seal," you should watch it on DVD. Your local library might even have it, which would be good because Blockbuster probably doesn't.)

But guess what? "Let the Right One In" has left Mad City! I had no idea its time was near. I feel ... betrayed. I mean, I didn't want to see this chilling movie about Scandinavian bloodsuckers right before Christmas, and risk ruining my holiday mojo. I really figured it'd be safe to wait until around Dec. 27. But no.

There should be a word for missing a movie that you really wanted to see because it left town too soon. I'll try to think of something. In the meantime, I went to see "Quantum of Solace," the new James Bond movie, this evening. Lots of dazzling action in that one. But to be honest with you, I really wanted to see a Nordic vampire film. And you know what else I would have liked? A few laughs. I like Daniel Craig as an actor - "Layer Cake" was a really good film - and I was happy to see Pierce Brosnan replaced by anyone. But for whatever reason, the Bond series has become cold-hearted and grim since DC took over. Some people like the 007 movies for the action scenes, some for the gadgets, some for the lovely Bond women. Me? I've always gone for the comedy. I mean, Roger Moore and Sean Connery were funny guys! Come on!

Anyhow, I did get a "quantum of solace" for my disappointment at missing "Let the Right One In." But I hope whoever makes the 007 movies will add a "quantum of humor" to the next one ...

No comments: