Saturday, February 21, 2009

third gear


For as long as I can remember, I've downshifted into 2nd gear when I'm going around a corner, in city driving. (Obviously, if I'm making a gradual turn onto an exit ramp from an interstate or something like that, I'm not gonna bring it all the way down to the deuce.) Lately, though, I've been doing a little experimenting with taking corners in 3rd gear. If it's a sharp 90-degree turn, it's a little cumbersome; but if I can veer out more towards the middle before the turn, then widen the turn, usually I've got enough momentum to accelerate out of the turn in 3rd gear without significant loss of power. It's interesting. Probably saves a little bit of gas, too.

By the way, do I sound like I'm boasting when I mention how I can drive a stick? There's a lot of stuff I can do, so I really don't feel like I'm bragging or anything, because compared to some of the other stuff it doesn't seem like a big deal. But still, I think you have to admit it's pretty cool ...

No comments: