Wednesday, November 5, 2008

chocolate nation

Yes! Yeeeeessssss! If you can imagine a skinny white guy screaming in jubilation out in Mad City, well ... that's me. My only question: why the fuck was it so close? I'm not talking about the electoral vote; we all know McCain got a good ass-whuppin' there. But the last I checked, the popular vote was about 51% to 45%. And what would it have been without a looming recession (depression?), and an unpopular 5+ year war, and the worst president of the past century except for Nixon, and Sarah Palin?

You know what? I don't even care at this point. We won. That's all that matters. We all won. Even those of you who voted for McCain, long after he'd demonstrated that there was really no good reason at all to vote for him. You'll see what I mean soon enough, if you'll take the damn blinders off and turn off Fox News and stop talking about terrorist fist bumps and shit like that.

Sorry for all the profanity tonight, people. Seriously, I'm trying to get rid of 8 years of anger, incredulity, and profound unhappiness about what was being done to the US, both by the people directly responsible and the people who insisted that we had a competent, functional government. We didn't. What we had was a crass misappropriation of this country's resources and power, to further goals which were often contrary to its best interests.

Well, no longer. For the first time in 8 years, I'm not going to spend part of every day dreading some new malfeasance coming from the White House. Honest to god, it's something that has weighed on me for 8 years, and maybe you too.

Did you see Obama's speech tonight? Could Bush have done something even close to that, in a million years? With even a modicum of his grace, dignity, and intelligence? I'm so proud of my new president. We've finally got the best that our country has to offer.

No comments: