Thursday, November 13, 2008

you are a runner and i am my father's son

The concert and show season is winding down here in Mad City with the onset of winter, but I did have the opportunity to see Wolf Parade the other night at the Majestic Theater. I went with my friend Jacob, one of the excellent first-year oncology fellows at Mad City General. Good show. I don't have Wolf Parade's 2nd album, but the first one has some rocking numbers and they played them well.

Something else about the show: you know how the liberal media keeps reporting that the "Seattle scene" in music is dead? Well, I've seen 2 bands with Seattle connections - Fleet Foxes and Wolf Parade - put on good shows in the past month or two. I think the rumors of the death of the "Seattle scene" are greatly exaggerated! And sure, Wolf Parade is from Montreal, but they're a Sub Pop band and that's what really matters.

And what's all this have to do with San Francisco? Well, I never mentioned anything about San Francisco. But since we're on the topic, I will note that I was introduced to Wolf Parade by my excellent friends Dean and Caroline, who I recently spent time with down in SF. I also met up with them in Chicago back in the spring! We're kind of doing a slow-motion tour of the great American cities together. We've already done Chicago, and SF, and Burlington, and Essex Junction. Next up: Mad City? They said they might be heading out here sometime in the spring! We'll see, people. We'll see ...

I would now like to close this blog note with a selection from the song "Lights," by the classic rock band Journey. As you may know, Journey is also from SF, and I think this song may have something to do with SF.

When the lights go down in the city
And the sun shines on the bay
Well I want to be there in my city
Whoaaaaahhhh ooooohhhhh

And don't you stop, that believin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Street light people
Whoaaaaahhhh oooooohhhhh










No comments: