Sunday, March 14, 2010

in the na'vi

Guess what, Mad City readers? I finally saw "Avatar" tonight. Now, I know what you're thinking: "Huh???" And all I can say is, I've been busy. Pretty damn busy.

So I suppose you want to hear my thoughts on it, right? Well ... I think it was a technological tour-de-force. I've never seen animation like that before! And I didn't even go to the 3D version. But I also think it's a little questionable, from a certain point of view, that these native people needed an outsider to come in and rescue them from a bad situation. There's an allegory in there somewhere ... hey, you know what it's like? "Dances with Wolves." It's just like "Dances with Wolves," where you had this goy cross over the lines and help the Indians fight off the white man's attack. I mean, why couldn't one of the natives have been the leader, the chosen one?

That's what I thought. I just thought of that.

But still, when Jake Sully called bullshit on the Sky People and their crazy nonobtainium-seeking ways, I couldn't help but get stoked up. And I vow to all of you that someday when I'm on my deathbed, my last words are going to be, "Take my bow. Protect the people." And I expect all the natives will do a whole bunch of crazy swaying-around, so my spirit can successfully get linked up with my avatar.

I see you, people. I see you ...

1 comment:

Trevor said...

Don't mention it, my friend! That's what I'm here for. Rock on ...