Sunday, September 14, 2008

the taste of summer


It's been said that writing about soda, or some combination of soda and ice cream, is the last refuge of a desperate blogger. And since I'm obviously still going strong, and crankin', I'm sure that people out there are wondering why I'm devoting today's entry to soda. Well, to put it bluntly, this Jones Lemon Drop soda is the bomb.
I'm a little partial to Jones, for several reasons: I like the name, they're underdogs, they do cool things like printing random pictures submitted by customers on their packaging, they're not afraid to make turkey-and-gravy soda, and I suspect they take good care of their employees.
And last but not least, they're based in Seattle, and some of their flavors are really good. Take Lemon Drop: each sip is like a mouthful of sweet Seattle summer rain. (Or maybe it's winter rain, or fall rain. All that rain started to taste the same to me after a while.) At any rate, it's got the perfect balance of sweetness and tartness, and it's all that.
I think Lemon Drop is right up there with San Pellegrino Limonata, which is a damn good carbonated beverage. And it puts Sprite and 7-Up and Mountain Dew to shame. And here's why: number 1, they use cane sugar instead of that high-fructose corn syrup shit. And number 2, it's just lemon. None of this lemon-lime nonsense. Now, don't get me wrong - I like limes. A lot. I wish there was a lime soda. But lemon-lime soda: what's up with that??? Why couldn't they just leave a good thing alone? From a marketing perspective, it probably seemed like a brilliant idea to combine the two; but from a gustatory perspective, it was a black day in soda history.
Sometimes, it's good to take a step back and just think about simplifying things, back to where they came from. Maybe we shouldn't be injecting cheese into pizza crusts, to make cheesy crust pizza. And maybe we should be taking the lime out of lemon-lime. We're all indebted to you, Jones, for leading the way.

No comments: