1. Oven mitts don't routinely get laundered.
2. However, they look great when they do get laundered. Just see my before and after photos.
3. Under usual working conditions, they probably don't need to be laundered more than once a year (barring any major spills or catastrophes).
4. For something that needs to be done so seldom, it's probably good to have some sort of reminder like a national day of recognition. Kind of like getting a flu shot. But I don't think we need a flu shot holiday, because there's already all sorts of reminders about that.
5. This day coincides with Barack Obama's inauguration, so it should be easy for people to remember.
6. This doesn't need to be a federal working holiday, like MLK Day. But it should be listed on the typical wall calendar, like Arbor Day.
7. Why not?
Now, I know what some of you are thinking: I've got these fancy silicon oven mitts, and I can't put them in the washing machine. Well, let me tell you something: I don't think there's a place in the kitchen for this space-age silicon technology. I've been using plain cloth oven mitts for a while now, and it's never been a problem. So if you have the silicon type, you just won't be able to participate in the holiday activities. You're SOL ...